Skip to main content

Angels For a While

The Achieve Together Conference had just ended on Saturday and my team and I left Gurgaon in our colleague’s car to Delhi. We had a train to catch at 4.40 pm and the car was filled with lots of material that was left from the conference. Six of us were crammed in her car along with standees, banners, leftover gifts and pieces of luggage.

It was raining in Gurgaon- Delhi. It was also Raksha Bandhan. This meant that scores of families were on the road to meet relatives to celebrate the festival. I think there is no culture of carrying rain gear in these two cities. Susan and I, true blue Mumbaikars carried our umbrella and raincoat. We also wore our rain shoes.



IMG_5399
Sue all dressed up. With her god child. And an Umbrella.
All of us in the car watched people on the street getting completely drenched and wondered how they managed. At a traffic signal when we halted, our eyes fell on a girl on a bike. She was completely wet and her white thin shirt turned transparent and clung to her. We felt bad about it but quickly forgot when we began moving. A while later, I saw her again and realised, her condition was quite bad and she needed some help. I told Tarang, my team member to stop the car near them so that we could give her a stole. Tarang drove close to them and they stopped too. Before, I could even open my bag, Roxanne, another team mate, took off her favourite stole and handed it to the girl. The girl smiled relieved. The boy was stupefied.

We drove off. No thank you, no conversation. Nothing. Just a silent exchange. Just a gesture of compassion and care. This incident made a deep impression on each one of us- we all spoke about it, hours after it had taken place.


We did not see them again on the road. They had gone.


I kept playing this incident in my mind again and again. I wondered if the stole was big enough to cover her, I kept thinking of her facial expression that conveyed so much gratitude and relief. I remembered how she hugged the boy on the bike in a bid to cover the front of herself. I wondered how she must have narrated this incident to her family. She must have definitely thought we were God sent.


And you know what? That just made us angels even if for just a few seconds!

                                             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise Stories

I have been a part of some really wonderful stories. Yesterday was one such time. My student Ansita has been helping me with Warm Regards since the day it started. When we got our first order and we wanted to recruit women, nobody knew where to start. We called Ansita and her sister Neha and together the two sisters, got us a room full of women, when we really only wanted five. Since then, Ansita has been part of most discussions and has been meeting the women and checking on them. On her own. She has not been instructed or asked to do any of this because of course, we adults think we can manage everything. The other day, one of the women shared with me how Ansita has been going around explaining the work and getting things for her so that she can finish the bedsheet that she has been working on. I was surprised. As a token of my appreciation, I wanted to give Ansita some money. She is responsible enough to use it wisely and also, I know she can save for some future needs.

To Cat or not to Cat!

I have played a huge role in adding additional 1.5 rooms in my house. For someone who scored extremely low in the spatial abilities' section of IQ tests, thats quite an achievement. It is also an achievement because everyone wanted the extra rooms but did not really know how to go about it. I had to rise above my strong reluctance in getting involved for the sake of those who really wanted to see the dream come true. Hence, I did it. I picked up the phone and got into conversations with the contractor, the supervisor, the workers and my family members and got everyone on the same page. Or room, if you like. I looked at my, very satisfied and happy, mother and declared that I deserved a gift for all that I got done. My mother, in her very powerful voice, asked me to tell her what I wanted. I seized the chance and said, “a cat”. She smiled and said, “go get it”. This 'permission' came with caveats. I had to take full responsibility of the little life- cleaning, potty t

Signs of Life

Nature has several lessons to teach me. Whenever I go to my plants with a question, there is almost always an answer waiting. It's like they read my mind and prepare to make me happy.  The end of December to end of February was a very difficult time for me. I was struggling with some personal issues and nothing seemed too promising on the job front either. There were a lot of things I had invested my time, energy and resources in but nothing really seemed to pick up. ATC had slowed down and no ideas to revive it were convincing enough. Project and job offers came in plenty but none of them really caught my attention. My business was moving so slow that we could think it was almost shutting down even before it had started. There was a lull.  At the same time, I sowed some seeds from my seed box, reluctantly - marigold, calendula, sunflower, carnation, bhindi, tomato, and even a fruit that we had in Sri Lanka- Nelli. I sowed jowar, basil and periwinkle. These were seeds I w