Skip to main content

Can You Also Teach?

Everyone thinks they can teach. I wonder why though. It is one of the first professions a person comes across in their lives which seems simpler and more doable than a doctor's, which is also one of the first professionals we meet. Or maybe because teaching and learning is a participatory process, hence one might think that they can teach, if they can learn. The sad state of affairs of education in the country, the fairly low entry points, the abysmal salaries might also all hint towards the thought that if that he/she can teach of course I can too.

Let me tell you, thats not true.

I have had some of the worst teachers while growing up and have come across some even more pathetic ones when I decided to learn something as an adult. Currently, I am learning how to swim. My coach is losing patience with me because I am unable to float in water and keep calm and breathe. He is also exasperated at my sister who seems to be the slow student. He adopts the sink or swim approach (literally) and today decided to take us to the deep end of the pool. All of us, adults, asserted our authority to say no and continued in the shallow end. The sad part of the whole process is that we don't enjoy our swimming lessons any more. And it is just our sixth day.

I have had three fairly bad days in a row at swimming class but on my second day of the good times, when my sister was struggling, I held her hands and taught her the little that I knew. Once a teacher, always and everywhere a teacher, I guess. I broke the step into smaller parts and gave her pointed feedback on what she is doing right and what she needed to change. I modulated my voice so that she could gauge how hard she needs to kick and encouraged her not to give up. She did well but her struggles continue. I went around asking almost everyone I knew how much time they took to learn to swim just the absolute basics and everyone turned around and told me anywhere between 30 classes/ sessions to a lifetime. Only one person told me that it might take just one day (assuming I guess that we are all fish accidently left on the shore....) It has been hard. I look around at adults and children, barely 3 feet tall in 10 feet deep water enjoying themselves like little water buffaloes. Its wonderful and I long to be like them. It is just my sixth day and I am dejected. I now not only need to get rid of my fear of water (which I don't think I have anyway) but also need to get rid of the 'failure' tag.

This makes me think a lot about the kind of people we entrust our learning to, the ones we accept as our teachers. Teachers might be highly ambitious people who want to see their students fly or swim but is impatience and making one's frustration valid? Is giving up on a student ok? My fear is that our coach, will just leave my sister and me in the pool gasping for air and maybe splashing some water on the edges. With a float. Letting us enjoy because learning is not our thing.

My fears are not exaggerated. I joined dance lessons when I was 20. I was quite bad. My teacher gave up on me. I quit class. The teacher (she is in Andheri, if you ever want to check with me who she is leave me a comment- I will divulge in your best interest) LOVED to dance so she started a dance class. I know of people who JUST LOVE to cook so they start cooking classes. I know of others who LOVE and are COMPLETELY PASSIONATE about photography, tailoring, yoga, science, academics and god knows what else and therefore start classes to teach those skills to others. But dear cook, tailor, scientist, academician, artist do you LOVE to teach? If not, drop the idea just now. Teaching a skill might be the easiest way to turn your hobby into something you get paid for. The truth is that if you are unable to be patient, empathetic, respectful, or break down an extremely complex skill into smaller more manageable goals, provide feedback that really propels your student forward or if you are unable to see your struggling student on the highest pedestal of your craft or art, you cannot teach. And you should not. You can be a cook but might not be able to be a teacher. Cooking and teaching, for example, are two separate skills and mastery of one does not gurantee the mastery of the other. I would risk it and say that if you are a great teacher you can teach anything that you are good at even some really complex skills.

Teaching is service. Teaching is an art and a science. There are no bad students but only bad teachers. I am sorry if I am being harsh on teachers but the fact remains that if the students knew exactly what they had to do, they wouldn't opt for your tutelage.

A failing student has way too many struggles to overcome apart from just learning the skill. For example, holding back tears while also holding back your breath while you are trying to stay afloat is not easy. Don't teach if you can't. Or consider taking teaching lessons before you do. Love it and become passionate about it. And then we will see you in class.

Comments

  1. Fio, I am intrigued by your post.
    I'd like to help you with swimming. :) I'm not an ace swimmer. But there are some things you can do in your day-to-day life that could help you master the art (& science) of swimming and may be even help you get over your fear of water. Let's talk more when we meet, hopefully soon.

    With regards to the art & science of teaching, I have a few thoughts I want to bounce off you. I would love your feedback.

    Learning and Teaching - two things I am very passionate about. Infact I'm trying to make a career out of it. My current profile is designed in such a way that I'm required to learn the latest in my field of expertise and share my learnings with the rest of the team (executioners) in a manner that they understand and can use. Often, I'm asked to help troubleshoot current on-going projects. And many other times I have to be able to connect the dots between different projects, use the learnings from a particular project for a completely different, un-related project. It's challenging and fun, if you like this sort of a profile.

    Based on my past-year experience I can say with a certain level of confidence that it's not easy being a teacher. I've identified the following as key learnings, in the quest to being a better teacher:
    1) Never forget your roots. You were not born brilliant. You made mistakes, too. Still do. Be patient with your audience/children/students.
    2) "Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a life time. "
    3) Learn to communicate to an audience with a diverse background. Not everyone speaks the same language.
    4) The words stupid, silly and unnecessary should not be a part of your dictionary. No question is silly.
    5) Being curious is good and if nurtured and guided properly could lead to path-breaking discoveries & research.

    I would love to take this discussion offline. I am quite certain there's a lot I can learn from you.

    Look forward to meeting you soon.

    And please don't ever give up writing. You have a flair for it, that's unmatched.
    I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. Although I might not be prompt about it. :)

    Hugs, HK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure- lets discuss when we meet. The one thing that guides me when I teach is this- is there integrity in what I am doing. And that makes everything simple :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise Stories

I have been a part of some really wonderful stories. Yesterday was one such time. My student Ansita has been helping me with Warm Regards since the day it started. When we got our first order and we wanted to recruit women, nobody knew where to start. We called Ansita and her sister Neha and together the two sisters, got us a room full of women, when we really only wanted five. Since then, Ansita has been part of most discussions and has been meeting the women and checking on them. On her own. She has not been instructed or asked to do any of this because of course, we adults think we can manage everything. The other day, one of the women shared with me how Ansita has been going around explaining the work and getting things for her so that she can finish the bedsheet that she has been working on. I was surprised. As a token of my appreciation, I wanted to give Ansita some money. She is responsible enough to use it wisely and also, I know she can save for some future needs.

To Cat or not to Cat!

I have played a huge role in adding additional 1.5 rooms in my house. For someone who scored extremely low in the spatial abilities' section of IQ tests, thats quite an achievement. It is also an achievement because everyone wanted the extra rooms but did not really know how to go about it. I had to rise above my strong reluctance in getting involved for the sake of those who really wanted to see the dream come true. Hence, I did it. I picked up the phone and got into conversations with the contractor, the supervisor, the workers and my family members and got everyone on the same page. Or room, if you like. I looked at my, very satisfied and happy, mother and declared that I deserved a gift for all that I got done. My mother, in her very powerful voice, asked me to tell her what I wanted. I seized the chance and said, “a cat”. She smiled and said, “go get it”. This 'permission' came with caveats. I had to take full responsibility of the little life- cleaning, potty t

Signs of Life

Nature has several lessons to teach me. Whenever I go to my plants with a question, there is almost always an answer waiting. It's like they read my mind and prepare to make me happy.  The end of December to end of February was a very difficult time for me. I was struggling with some personal issues and nothing seemed too promising on the job front either. There were a lot of things I had invested my time, energy and resources in but nothing really seemed to pick up. ATC had slowed down and no ideas to revive it were convincing enough. Project and job offers came in plenty but none of them really caught my attention. My business was moving so slow that we could think it was almost shutting down even before it had started. There was a lull.  At the same time, I sowed some seeds from my seed box, reluctantly - marigold, calendula, sunflower, carnation, bhindi, tomato, and even a fruit that we had in Sri Lanka- Nelli. I sowed jowar, basil and periwinkle. These were seeds I w