Skip to main content

To Cat or not to Cat!

I have played a huge role in adding additional 1.5 rooms in my house. For someone who scored extremely low in the spatial abilities' section of IQ tests, thats quite an achievement. It is also an achievement because everyone wanted the extra rooms but did not really know how to go about it. I had to rise above my strong reluctance in getting involved for the sake of those who really wanted to see the dream come true. Hence, I did it. I picked up the phone and got into conversations with the contractor, the supervisor, the workers and my family members and got everyone on the same page. Or room, if you like.

I looked at my, very satisfied and happy, mother and declared that I deserved a gift for all that I got done. My mother, in her very powerful voice, asked me to tell her what I wanted. I seized the chance and said, “a cat”. She smiled and said, “go get it”. This 'permission' came with caveats. I had to take full responsibility of the little life- cleaning, potty training, vaccinations, walks, food, safety, school, college, career, marriage and what not. I felt a bit daunted but agreed. This was my golden opportunity and I couldn't let go.

I started the research. How to train cats, how to read their body language, what to do to keep them entertained, how to pet them, how to do this and how to do that. I began browsing through cat photos online (again and this time I had a legitimate reason) and reading up about those who are up for adoption. I started imagining little Gaya walking around, eating, interacting with my family members and just generally becoming a part of our lives. I spoke to VM about the kitten and how she will come with me to Delhi. After tackling my mother, I had to tackle my younger sister (more on that later) and then my husband to be. There was way too much to look into and I thought I should postpone the cat adoption to another time. When I was considering giving up, the world's best photographer, Roxanne, sent my sister a picture of Poosha, our cat who would come into our previous house. The pic made my sister cry. Have a look.

Look at the paaawww!

And thats when I decided, to throw the negative thoughts out of the window and bring in a cat.

Just yesterday, my friend Veenee, told me that she is getting a kitten for her daughter Mishka. I was thrilled. This was another sign. And what triggered the conversation between Veenee and me? This pic.

Paw... paw...



This is Kula, a 15 day old born near the school where I taught. 

They got a kitten in DB too. 

How can anyone resist touching those paws?
There were cats everywhere. In so many ways in my life. Not really but almost there. And in just a while, wait and watch... for real!

Comments

  1. Go for it! They're great fun! :) And a lot easier to care for as compared to dogs anyway. If them getting bored might be a concern, you might want to consider adopting a pair of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Ca't wait. But will wait till May end to let things settle a bit. Two kittens would be great but I know I will not be allowed. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise Stories

I have been a part of some really wonderful stories. Yesterday was one such time. My student Ansita has been helping me with Warm Regards since the day it started. When we got our first order and we wanted to recruit women, nobody knew where to start. We called Ansita and her sister Neha and together the two sisters, got us a room full of women, when we really only wanted five. Since then, Ansita has been part of most discussions and has been meeting the women and checking on them. On her own. She has not been instructed or asked to do any of this because of course, we adults think we can manage everything. The other day, one of the women shared with me how Ansita has been going around explaining the work and getting things for her so that she can finish the bedsheet that she has been working on. I was surprised. As a token of my appreciation, I wanted to give Ansita some money. She is responsible enough to use it wisely and also, I know she can save for some future needs.

Signs of Life

Nature has several lessons to teach me. Whenever I go to my plants with a question, there is almost always an answer waiting. It's like they read my mind and prepare to make me happy.  The end of December to end of February was a very difficult time for me. I was struggling with some personal issues and nothing seemed too promising on the job front either. There were a lot of things I had invested my time, energy and resources in but nothing really seemed to pick up. ATC had slowed down and no ideas to revive it were convincing enough. Project and job offers came in plenty but none of them really caught my attention. My business was moving so slow that we could think it was almost shutting down even before it had started. There was a lull.  At the same time, I sowed some seeds from my seed box, reluctantly - marigold, calendula, sunflower, carnation, bhindi, tomato, and even a fruit that we had in Sri Lanka- Nelli. I sowed jowar, basil and periwinkle. These were seeds I w