Skip to main content

Flunked!

Yesterday, the NIOS results were out and my student did not clear all his subjects. He called me up yesterday to tell me that out of the five subjects that he had appeared for, he had cleared three. He sounded a bit stressed but we did not have the time to address any emotions (both our numbers are on roaming) and we only exchanged as much information as possible.

I was, strangely, not upset but calmly listened to him quickly assessing all the options we had left. (For someone who studied like a maniac for all examinations in school/college/ university and would be upset if she would not ‘top’- that is a big deal!) Now, I have been thinking, what about this situation has been working in my favour? Why did I not make frantic calls asking people for solutions and why did I not, even once, blame him and his excess interest in cricket for this inability to clear all his papers? In fact, I ended the conversation congratulating him on clearing three subjects. He asked me if I was sure about what I was saying- I said that I meant it.

I have known my student since 2009 and have watched him grow. He was older than the rest of the students and couldn’t really do well in studies. I knew for sure, that this system- standardized tests and scores did not suit him (like the way it suited me) and we had to find solutions. I was sick of him being labeled different things and more often deeply hurt to the point of being distressed that he was so misunderstood. I didn’t care that his teachers thought he was ‘poor’ in academics, but it upset me when they called him a ‘problem child’. So, yes, the call yesterday and what transpired between the two days has only made us stronger. Because I am a teacher, I know how we can handle this situation. It really is not the end of the world, if we don’t clear a few examinations. I have seen my student’s transformation, over the past one year. His interest in cricket has become stronger along with his interest in learning and having a better future. He moved from the state board to open schooling, completely handling the entire admission process by himself. He needed no reminders. He did not check with me- he only informed me of his plans. The roles were reversed, he gave me information about the system and I just learnt from him.

How can I be worried about a boy who knows how to take care of himself? How can I use the word ‘failure’ for him? No, I won’t- not for him, not for anyone. Not because I am being sensitive, but because I don’t believe in it at all.

In my own journey, both as a teacher and a person, I have learnt how important it is to keep exploring all possible options for those entrusted in your care. Moreover, I have learnt, the power of resource broking. Can you find solutions? Can the child be gently steered into certain directions instead of being coaxed into things the ‘world’ believes are right for us? Can we open a few doors for our children?

While I see the rest of the (my) students struggling to stay in the very system that is designed to keep them out (through high fees, through decontextualized curricula, a rigid and merciless examination system and an even worse result system) I see this particular student, flourishing. Making way into a future that he himself has created.

I am in awe of this little child.

(P.S. Why the title 'flunked'? Because it is a fun, careless slang used for a system that shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's cheeky and I like it!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise Stories

I have been a part of some really wonderful stories. Yesterday was one such time. My student Ansita has been helping me with Warm Regards since the day it started. When we got our first order and we wanted to recruit women, nobody knew where to start. We called Ansita and her sister Neha and together the two sisters, got us a room full of women, when we really only wanted five. Since then, Ansita has been part of most discussions and has been meeting the women and checking on them. On her own. She has not been instructed or asked to do any of this because of course, we adults think we can manage everything. The other day, one of the women shared with me how Ansita has been going around explaining the work and getting things for her so that she can finish the bedsheet that she has been working on. I was surprised. As a token of my appreciation, I wanted to give Ansita some money. She is responsible enough to use it wisely and also, I know she can save for some future needs.

To Cat or not to Cat!

I have played a huge role in adding additional 1.5 rooms in my house. For someone who scored extremely low in the spatial abilities' section of IQ tests, thats quite an achievement. It is also an achievement because everyone wanted the extra rooms but did not really know how to go about it. I had to rise above my strong reluctance in getting involved for the sake of those who really wanted to see the dream come true. Hence, I did it. I picked up the phone and got into conversations with the contractor, the supervisor, the workers and my family members and got everyone on the same page. Or room, if you like. I looked at my, very satisfied and happy, mother and declared that I deserved a gift for all that I got done. My mother, in her very powerful voice, asked me to tell her what I wanted. I seized the chance and said, “a cat”. She smiled and said, “go get it”. This 'permission' came with caveats. I had to take full responsibility of the little life- cleaning, potty t

Signs of Life

Nature has several lessons to teach me. Whenever I go to my plants with a question, there is almost always an answer waiting. It's like they read my mind and prepare to make me happy.  The end of December to end of February was a very difficult time for me. I was struggling with some personal issues and nothing seemed too promising on the job front either. There were a lot of things I had invested my time, energy and resources in but nothing really seemed to pick up. ATC had slowed down and no ideas to revive it were convincing enough. Project and job offers came in plenty but none of them really caught my attention. My business was moving so slow that we could think it was almost shutting down even before it had started. There was a lull.  At the same time, I sowed some seeds from my seed box, reluctantly - marigold, calendula, sunflower, carnation, bhindi, tomato, and even a fruit that we had in Sri Lanka- Nelli. I sowed jowar, basil and periwinkle. These were seeds I w